What’s a StoryWalk®
A StoryWalk® takes the pages from a picture book and spaces them along a path creating an interactive and new way to experience reading. Thanks to a generous grant*, we are excited to bring a StoryWalk® to Memorial Park. It begins on the path between the pool and the playground and continues along the walkway until you reach the deck hockey rink.
Our Winter/Spring Storywalk will feature Hedgehugs
Horace and Hattie are hedgehogs, and the very best of friends. Together, they make daisy chains, splash in puddles, and have tea parties. But there is one thing they can’t do―hug! They are just too spiky. Throughout the seasons, these two hedgehogs will try many different ways of hugging. But will Horace and Hattie find a hug that feels just right?
If you like Hedgehugs, check out some suggested books for younger and older kids with themes of friendship, animals, and belonging!
- What was your favorite part of Hedgehugs?
- Can you think of any other ways the Horace and Hattie could have hugged? Make a drawing to explain your idea.
- Hattie and Horace try to find a solution in each season. Can you think of another idea to help them hug for winter, spring, summer, and fall?
- What is your favorite thing to do with friends?
- Learn more about hedgehogs. Why do they have spines? What are some other interesting things about hedgehogs?
- Design a sock for Horace and one for Hattie.
- Ask your caregiver if you can use a sock to make a coat for one of your stuffed animals.
Share your projects, thoughts, and ideas with us! #baynestorywalk
*This project is made possible by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds for the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries.